August ’16 Pastor Training Ministry Update
Kenya Trip Reflections from Tina
In June, I joined Tim on my second trip to Africa. This time, we journeyed to Mombasa, Kenya to visit Lighthouse for Christ Eye Clinic. This is a mercy ministry whose heart is to preach the gospel to those being treated for eye problems. Because of this outreach, many now follow Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. In addition, dozens of men have become pastors and they shepherd flocks of believers at Lighthouse Bible Churches all over Kenya.While we participated in a variety of outreaches in Mombasa, the primary mission for our team was to host a marriage conference for 31 Lighthouse Bible pastors and their wives. Tim taught the main sessions while another pastor, Brock Bolde, and elder, Bob Powell, taught break-out sessions and helped answer questions during Q and A’s.Cristina Bolde, Brock’s wife, and I taught the women in separate sessions. What we didn’t realize until we arrived were the great challenges facing marriages in Africa because of cultural and Muslim and animistic influences. Cristina and I noticed some of the women seemed burdened, but we couldn’t figure it out until we learned from the American missionary that cultivating friendship is often not seen as a priority. As a result, it is difficult for the men and women to “open their hearts” to each other in their “one flesh relationship”.Tim’s first teaching from Ephesians 5 explained the mystery of God designing marriage after the relationship of His son and His Son’s bride. After the first evening session and break out session, a man came up to us and said, “I have never heard teaching like this! I asked my wife how I can be a better husband”. At the time we didn’t understand what a breakthrough this was for this man. The exposition of Ephesians had just as big of an impact on the men as did the teaching about marriage. The light bulb went on for many of them…that they must live a renewed life in their marriage and in their homes, not just in their communities and churches. As the men were being challenged to love their wives as Christ loved the church, the women seemed to have a new sense of hope that their lives and marriages could change as a result of living out God’s Word.We were greatly encouraged when several of the pastors said that they wanted not only to apply these principles in their own marriages but to teach them to their congregations as well. Please keep these dear saints in prayer.
Family Update and Prayer Requests
As most of you know this year’s highlight has been the birth of our first grandson, Silas Koster Mockary. He was born on July 26th, 2016 at 7lbs, 14oz, and 21 inches long. What a joy it is to have this new addition to our family! Tim and I see him as much as Hannah and Michael will allow! Could you join us in prayer for the following needs?
- Baby Silas: for Michael and Hannah to have wisdom as they raise Silas and that he would come to know the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Daniel, Carissa, and Brie: for their testimony at school as they begin a new year. Pray that they would grow closer to the Lord and that they would be diligent in their studies.
- John and Bethany: For direction for John's career and for a strong marriage
- Tim's travel: Tim will be leaving on 9/14 for a month long trip to the Philippines. Please pray for his health and safety and that he would be Spirit-filled as he teaches the pastors there.
- Tina: for her preparation for teaching a women's conference in the Philippines in early October
- Support: praise the Lord that more support has come in during this last month. Please pray that we would trust God for the remaining 15% that is needed.
And if the Lord leads you to choose to support this ministry, you can do so by check made out to Calvary Bible Church with ‘suggested use Carns Missions’ on the memo line. The check can be placed in the Sunday offering or mailed to Calvary Bible Church at 1101 S. Main St, Burbank, CA 91506.Yours in Christ,Tim and Tina